Undeclared and/or Undecided


GE Requirements (SF State Bulletin: General Education)

Major Department Website (Undeclared Advising Center)

The Undergraduate Advising Center answered a few questions to assist you with your first semester courses — see below.


General Information

Where should I go for advising?

The Undergraduate Advising Center is your home base for advising until you declare a major. You will have a designated advisor and access to an online resource called "Exploring Majors: Pathway to Declaration"  to help guide you through the major exploration process. Look out for an email with more information from your advisor in August.

Where can I find more information about SF State majors?

The 1st Semester Recommendations by Major on the Advising Hub is a good starting place for your research about majors at SF State.  Each page includes FAQs and links to degree requirements/roadmaps in the University Bulletin and the major department website.

What is an impacted major and how do I know if a major is impacted? When a major is impacted, it means that more students than can be accommodated want to declare the major. Students have to apply and be accepted into impacted majors and should connect with the major department for information about how to declare. For a list of impacted majors, refer to future.sfsu.edu/impaction.
When should I declare my major? Once you decide on a major, it is best to declare as soon as possible so you can connect with the department for major advising. For non-impacted majors, you can declare at any time. Impacted majors may have deadlines so you should connect with the major department for information about their declaration process.
Where can I find information about careers that are associated with my major of interest? The Career Services and Leadership Development office and their team of career counselors offer individualized career counseling, workshops, events, and more. This is an excellent campus resource for all undeclared students to connect with during their 1st semester and beyond.

Transfer Student Info

What courses should I take in my first semester as a transfer student if I am undeclared?

Undeclared transfer students should take courses appropriate for their intended major.  If you aren't sure of your major, you should talk to an advisor so they can help you plan your courses. 

What should I do if I want to change my major?


Most majors are not impacted and you can easily change into them.  You should therefore take courses based on your intended major and then change your major as soon as you can. 

Transfer students should have applied and been accepted into a impacted major.  If you are still interested in an impacted major, you should consult with the major department.  For a list of impacted majors, refer to future.sfsu.edu/impaction.

Freshmen Student Info

How many units should I take?

Full-time status is 12 units but if your goal is to graduate in 4 years, plan to complete at least 30 units each year. For example, some students take 15 units in the fall semester and 15 units in the spring semester so they earn 30 units by the end of their 1st year at SF State.

What courses should I take if I am undeclared and have no majors in mind?

During your 1st year, taking lower division (courses numbered 100-299) General Education courses are a great way to explore potential majors and choosing courses from a variety of different GE areas can help create a more balanced schedule.  Try to identify GE courses in fields you might be interested in.

What do I take if I have a major in mind?

To explore a major, it may be possible to take an introductory major class or prerequisite for the major.  Refer to the 1st Semester Recommendations by Major on the Advising Hub for course recommendations from the major department.  You can take an introductory major class for a few majors if you have more than one in mind.




Undergraduate Advising Center (UAC) 

Services provided for: first year freshmen and all undeclared students

Drop-in appointments are available for "quick questions" that can be answered in 15 minutes or less: general education, non-major graduation requirements, graduation check, First Year English and math, University policy and procedures.

Scheduled Appointments are offered for topics that may require a little more time: choosing a major/major exploration, academic probation, students changing to undeclared, B.A. Special Major and returning undeclared students.  Please follow the steps to schedule an appointment online at advising.sfsu.edu.

Phone:  (415) 338-2101

Website: advising.sfsu.edu
Email: Click Here

Please visit our website for drop-in hours availability.