Music B.M.

Major Requirements (SF State Bulletin: Degree Requirements)

Roadmap (SF State Bulletin: Roadmap)

GE Requirements (SF State Bulletin: General Education)

Major Department Website

Your major advisor answered a few questions to assist you with your first semester courses — see below.

General Information

What are some of the highlights and features to know about this major? An intensive, professional preparation degree for students interested in Composition, Music Performance or Music Education.
Does your department have a major planning sheet for me as a guide? Yes:
When should I first meet with my major department? As early as possible, preferably at audition dates in the prior semester.
How will I be assigned to a major advisor and how do I contact them? Students are assigned to advisors by the chair. Students may contact advisors by email or phone.
Where can I find information about major advising? Please contact chair until you have been assigned an advisor (
Does this major require any pre-work from me before I attend orientation or register for classes? Students must take placement exams (referred to above). Exams are offered during all audition dates.
What should I do if my major core and/or prerequisite courses are full? Meet with advisor.

Does this major have GE courses that are met in major?

[These courses are deemed “met in the major” upon completion of the courses listed (even though the courses are not approved for GE). This is true whether or not the student completes the major.]


C1 (Arts): MUS 221 AND 222.

UD-C (Arts): Any two of MUS 550, 551 and 552.

Is there anything else I need to know about starting in this major? Students should be proactive in contacting chair of dept to introduce themselves and to make contact with their advisor early in the first semester.  Students should complete a written semester-by-semester graduation plan when meeting with the advisor.

Transfer Student Info

What upper division courses should I take in my first semester as a transfer student for this major? All transfer students are placed into appropriate MUS core courses, based on articulation agreements (See or  through department placement exams in Ear Training, keyboard and Music Theory. These exams are administered to all incoming majors. 
Are there any registration blocks or holds in the system for this major, and if so, what do I do/who do I contact to clear them? Yes. Successful completion of LD core or exemption by exam
Does this major have an approved Associate Degree for Transfer (ADT) roadmap? Yes. See here.

Freshmen Student Info

Are there any courses I should take first as a Freshman to get started in this major and/or are there any lower division GE course requirements that I can take that will also count toward this major?
GE: MUS 120
Non-GE: MUS 130
These courses may be completed before being admitted to the major. Students may also be placed into MUS 130, based on the results of the dept placement exams in Ear Training, Keyboard and Music Theory administered to all incoming majors.
Are there entry or prerequisite requirements for these Freshmen courses?

Successful audition.

Can any of my AP or IB tests count toward requirements in this major?
AP Music Exam is helpful, but does not replace the dept placement exams in Ear Training, keyboard and Music Theory administered to all incoming majors.



College of Liberal and Creative Arts Advising Resource Center (ARC)

Services provided for: Undergraduate students pursuing a major, minor or certificate in the College of Liberal and Creative Arts.

Services offered: Academic planning, general education advising, academic probation advising, petition consultation, career prep and planning, major career exploration, graduation check (GE and graduation requirements), study abroad, connecting with communities and discovering campus resources.

Phone: (415) 338-1486