Journalism: Concentration in Photojournalism

Major Requirements (SF State Bulletin: Degree Requirements)

Roadmap (SF State Bulletin: Roadmap)

GE Requirements (SF State Bulletin: General Education)

Major Department Website

Your major advisor answered a few questions to assist you with your first semester courses — see below.

General Information

When should I first meet with my major department? At the beginning or before the start of the semester.
How will I be assigned to a major advisor and how do I contact them? Advisor assignments are made by the AOC [Academic Office Coordinator]. Students should email the advisor for an appointment or visit during office hours.
Where can I find information about major advising?
 Does this major require any pre-work from me before I attend orientation or register for classes? No, but we do require students to attend an orientation [TBA].
What should I do if my major core and/or prequisite courses are full? Prerequisites can generally be taken at community colleges. The three most important ones are JOUR 205, JOUR 221 and JOUR 226.
Is there anything else I need to know about starting in this major? Journalism is prerequisite heavy. ENG 214 is the entry to all courses, take it so that by your first sophomore semester you can take JOUR 205. Students should take JOUR 221 the last semester of their sophomore year so that there is no lag between taking it and JOUR 300. It’s always recommended that students take JOUR 222, JOUR 226 and JOUR 300 the first semester of your junior year.

Transfer Student Info

What upper division courses should I take in my first semester as a transfer student for this major? JOUR 222, JOUR 300 and JOUR 307
Are there any prerequisites to these upper division courses for the major? ENG 214 or equivalent.
Are there any registration blocks or holds in the system for this major, and if so, what do I do/who do I contact to clear them? CS [Campus Solutions/Student Center] does prerequisite checking on Journalism courses.
Does this major have an approved Associate Degree for Transfer (ADT) roadmap? No.

Freshmen Student Info

 Are there any courses I should take first as a Freshman to get started in this major and/or are there any lower division GE course requirements that I can take that will also count toward this major? If freshmen have satisfied ENG 114 through AP but not ENG 214, they should take ENG 214
Are there entry or prerequisite requirements for these Freshmen courses?


Can any of my AP or IB tests count toward requirements in this major?

College of Liberal & Creative Arts Advising Resource Center (ARC)

Services provided for: Undergraduate students pursuing a major, minor or certificate in the College of Liberal and Creative Arts.

Services offered: Academic planning, general education advising, academic probation advising, petition consultation, career prep and planning, major career exploration, graduation check (GE and graduation requirements), study abroad, connecting with communities and discovering campus resources.

Phone: (415) 338-1486
Location: HUM 112