English: Concentration in English Education

Major Requirements (SF State Bulletin: Degree Requirements)

Roadmap (SF State Bulletin: Roadmap)

GE Requirements (SF State Bulletin: General Education)

Major Department Website

Your major advisor answered a few questions to assist you with your first semester courses — see below.

General Information

What are some of the highlights and features to know about this major? Our program offers a subject matter competency waiver if student earns a grade of B- or better in each course for the major. Subject matter competency is required for admission to a post-bac credential program in the state of California.

Does your department have a major planning sheet for me as a guide?

No, we do not have a major planning sheet.

When should I first meet with my major department? As soon as possible.
How will I be assigned to a major advisor and how do I contact them? According to concentration; for English Education, the advisors are Professor Morris and Professor Gilligan; contact advisors via email or visit during office hours.
Where can I find information about major advising? http://english.sfsu.edu/content/english-education-program
Does this major require any pre-work from me before I attend orientation or register for classes? None.
What should I do if my major core and/or prerequisite courses are full? Consult with Professor Morris or Professor Gilligan for course planning.
Is there anything else I need to know about starting in this major? Always select your courses for the major in consultation with your major advisor; ideally, meet with your advisor at least once per semester to plan your course of study.

Transfer Student Info

What upper division courses should I take in my first semester as a transfer student for this major? Any courses in the English major core, which can be found on our website here: https://english.sfsu.edu/content/undergraduate-program.
Are there any prerequisites to these upper division courses for the major? GE Area E, or equivalent.
Are there any registration blocks or holds in the system for this major, and if so, what do I do/who do I contact to clear them?
Students must declare English Education as a major to be eligible to register for COMM 220 or COMM 553.
The two lower-division courses (ENG 218 and ENG 250) should be completed before starting upper-division coursework, but there are no actual holds for this.  New transfer students should meet with a major advisor as soon as possible to be sure they have completed the equivalents of ENG 218 and ENG 250.
Does this major have an approved Associate Degree for Transfer (ADT) roadmap? No.

Freshmen Student Info

Are there any courses I should take first as a Freshman to get started in this major and/or are there any lower division GE course requirements that I can take that will also count toward this major? ENG 250 (Variable topics) and ENG 218 (after taking ENG 114) both count toward GE as well as the English major.
Are there entry or prerequisite requirements for these Freshmen courses?

GE Area A2.

Can any of my AP or IB tests count toward requirements in this major?
None that will count toward major requirements.
AP English Language and Composition scores of 3 or higher can count toward GE requirements Area A2 (ENG 114).
AP English Literature and Composition scores of 3 or higher can count toward GE requirements Area A2 (ENG 114) and Area C2.



College of Liberal and Creative Arts Advising Resource Center (ARC)

Services provided for: Undergraduate students pursuing a major, minor or certificate in the College of Liberal and Creative Arts.

Services offered: Academic planning, general education advising, academic probation advising, petition consultation, career prep and planning, major career exploration, graduation check (GE and graduation requirements), study abroad, connecting with communities and discovering campus resources.

Phone: (415) 338-1486
Website: advisinglca.sfsu.edu
Email: achieve@sfsu.edu