Major Requirements (SF State Bulletin: Degree Requirements)

Roadmap (SF State Bulletin: Roadmap)

GE Requirements (SF State Bulletin: General Education)

Major Department Website

Your major advisor answered a few questions to assist you with your first semester courses — see below.

General Information

What are some of the highlights and features to know about this major? The School of Cinema provides undergraduate majors with a broad liberal arts education that covers film history, film theory, and film production, all focusing on three core values: creative expression, critical thinking, and social engagement.
Does your department have a major planning sheet for me as a guide? Yes: CINE Advising Worksheet (pdf)
When should I first meet with my major department?
Freshmen – Any time during 2nd semester to plan enrollment for your sophomore year (core classes).
Transfers – As soon as possible.
How will I be assigned to a major advisor and how do I contact them?
Student should locate their assigned advisor at this link:
Where can I find information about major advising?
Does this major require any pre-work from me before I attend orientation or register for classes? There are no requirements, but we strongly encourage transfer students to meet with a faculty advisor ASAP.
What should I do if my major core and/or prequisite courses are full?

Students should seek guidance directly from the course instructor and/or a faculty advisor.

Is there anything else I need to know about starting in this major?
Freshmen – Take all the 200-level (core) courses during the two semesters of your sophomore year.
Transfers – Complete any remaining 200-level (core) courses during your first semester on campus.


Transfer Student Info

What upper division courses should I take in my first semester as a transfer student for this major?
(1) CINE 340: Critical Studies;
(2) CINE 341: Critical Studies Discussion;
(3) any CINE GWAR. 
Other courses to consider:
•Production-oriented students may enroll in up to two 400-level filmmaking classes.
•Screenwriting-oriented students should enroll in CINE 450: Fundamentals of Screenwriting.
Are there any prerequisites to these upper division courses for the major?
Five core classes (13 units):
(1) CINE 200:Intro to Cinema Studies;
(2) CINE 202: Intro to Filmmaking;
(3) CINE 204: Intro to Filmmaking Lab;
(4) CINE 211: Film History I;
(5) CINE 212: Film History II
If you think you may have completed the above courses at your community college but any or all of those courses are not officially articulated, see a Cinema major advisor to ask about core course waivers.
Are there any registration blocks or holds in the system for this major, and if so, what do I do/who do I contact to clear them? Yes, transfer students should be aware that their Cinema course articulations are sometimes not in place prior to enrollment. They should see a faculty advisor about being cleared for enrollment.
Does this major have an approved Associate Degree for Transfer (ADT) roadmap?

Yes, in Film, Television, and Electronic Media (AS-T).


Freshmen Student Info

Are there any courses I should take first as a Freshman to get started in this major and/or are there any lower division GE course requirements that I can take that will also count toward this major? The Cinema major courses start once a student has sophomore standing (30+ units).  Freshmen may take any 100-level Cinema courses.  Please note that 100-level courses are GE-only and do not count towards the Cinema major.
Are there entry or prerequisite requirements for these Freshmen courses?


Can any of my AP or IB tests count toward requirements in this major?



College of Liberal and Creative Arts Advising Resource Center (ARC)

Services provided for: Undergraduate students pursuing a major, minor or certificate in the College of Liberal and Creative Arts.

Services offered: Academic planning, general education advising, academic probation advising, petition consultation, career prep and planning, major career exploration, graduation check (GE and graduation requirements), study abroad, connecting with communities and discovering campus resources.

Phone: (415) 338-1486