Chinese: Concentration in Flagship Chinese Language

Major Requirements (SF State Bulletin: Degree Requirements)

Roadmap (SF State Bulletin: Roadmap)

GE Requirements (SF State Bulletin: General Education)

Major Department Website

Your major advisor answered a few questions to assist you with your first semester courses — see below.

General Information

What are some of the highlights and features to know about this major?

Learn to communicate in the world’s most widely spoken language.

Learn Chinese at the largest and most comprehensive Chinese language program in the CSU system.

Learn Chinese at a federally-appointed Chinese Language Flagship — the only one of its kind in California.

Flagship students are eligible to receive federal funding (up to $20,000 per person) to assist in mandatory study abroad.

Learn about Chinese food, music, literature, culture, society, and much more, through classes from freshman all the way to graduate level.

Does your department have a major planning sheet for me as a guide? N/A
When should I first meet with my major department? As soon as possible (first semester OK), so as to better understand major requirements and work out a degree roadmap.
How will I be assigned to a major advisor and how do I contact them? Contact the Chinese Program coordinator ( to arrange a meeting.
Where can I find information about major advising? Contact the Chinese Program coordinator ( to arrange a meeting.
Does this major require any pre-work from me before I attend orientation or register for classes? No.
What should I do if my major core and/or prequisite courses are full? Chinese is not an impacted major, hence core major and/or prerequisite courses are unlikely to be full. However, in the unlikely event that a required course is full, speak with a Chinese Program advisor about alternatives.
Is there anything else I need to know about starting in this major? The Flagship concentration is an honors track that requires a 3.0 GPA to join (with some exceptions). It also requires mandatory study abroad and internships, for which funding of up to $20,000 per student may be available.

Transfer Student Info

What upper division courses should I take in my first semester as a transfer student for this major? CHIN 311, CHIN312 and/or MLL 325.
Are there any prerequisites to these upper division courses for the major? Prerequisites are first four semesters of Chinese language completed at a community college or demonstrated proficiency at the upper intermediate level.
Are there any registration blocks or holds in the system for this major, and if so, what do I do/who do I contact to clear them? None.
Does this major have an approved Associate Degree for Transfer (ADT) roadmap? No.

Freshmen Student Info

Are there any courses I should take first as a Freshman to get started in this major and/or are there any lower division GE course requirements that I can take that will also count toward this major?

Freshmen students without any Chinese language training or background can enroll directly in CHIN 101 (no prerequisites). Those who have taken the language in high school or have had prior exposure through travel or heritage background should see a Chinese Program advisor to determine an appropriate starting point.

Most lower division Chinese language courses (CHIN101, 102, 103, 111, 228, 271) count towards lower division GE category C2: Humanities.

Are there entry or prerequisite requirements for these Freshmen courses?

No prerequisites for CHIN101, 111, 228, 271, 275. Language courses that are part of a sequence, such as CHIN 102 and 103, require completion of the prior course in the sequence (e.g., CHIN 101), but the prerequisite can be waived if student can demonstrate proficiency (through discussion with a Chinese Program advisor).

The Flagship Chinese Language Program requires an application process in order to be considered for formal admission. Contact the Chinese Flagship Office ( for more information.

Can any of my AP or IB tests count toward requirements in this major?
  • 4 units awarded for AP Chinese score of 3 (equivalent of CHIN 101)
  • 8 units awarded for AP Chinese score of 4 (equivalent of CHIN 101 & CHIN102)
  • 12 units awarded for AP Chinese score of 5 (equivalent ofCHIN 101, 102, & 103)



College of Liberal and Creative Arts Advising Resource Center (ARC)

Services provided for: Undergraduate students pursuing a major, minor or certificate in the College of Liberal and Creative Arts.

Services offered: Academic planning, general education advising, academic probation advising, petition consultation, career prep and planning, major career exploration, graduation check (GE and graduation requirements), study abroad, connecting with communities and discovering campus resources.

Phone: (415) 338-1486