Art: Concentration in Studio Art

Major Requirements (SF State Bulletin: Degree Requirements)

Roadmap (SF State Bulletin: Roadmap)

GE Requirements (SF State Bulletin: General Education)

Major Department Website

Your major advisor answered a few questions to assist you with your first semester courses — see below.

General Information

What are some of the highlights and features to know about this major? As an Art major you will study studio art practice, taking classes in areas such as drawing & painting, textiles, photography, ceramics, printmaking, digital media and emerging technologies, as well as interdisciplinary classes in topics such as social practice and public art.
Does your department have a major planning sheet for me as a guide? Yes: School of Art Current Advising Sheets
When should I first meet with my major department? Students should meet with an advisor at least once a semester. Advising is available beginning the second week of classes.
How will I be assigned to a major advisor and how do I contact them? We assign advisors by the first letter of the student’s last name. Make an appointment during your advisor's office hours. Assigned advisors and contact information/office hours for advisors are available on our website:
Where can I find information about major advising?
Does this major require any pre-work from me before I attend orientation or register for classes? No.
What should I do if my major core and/or prequisite courses are full? Students should speak with an Art program advisor  and/or contact the instructor of the class you wish to take. 

Does this major have GE courses that are met in major?

[These courses are deemed “met in the major” upon completion of the courses listed (even though the courses are not approved for GE). This is true whether or not the student completes the major.]


C1 (Arts): ART 201 AND 205

Is there anything else I need to know about starting in this major?

Art and art history classes are in high demand and many fill before the end of the first registration period. See an advisor to stay on track. 

For those students who want to teach art in K-12, it is recommended that they major in Art: Concentration in Studio Art and minor in Education. More information is found at the following website in the section titled Discontinued Concentration in Art Education:

Transfer Student Info

What upper division courses should I take in my first semester as a transfer student for this major?
ARTH 306 or ARTH 417 or ARTH 421
ARTH 400
300-level Studio Art (ART) courses
400-level Studio Art (ART) courses
Are there any prerequisites to these upper division courses for the major?
Yes, some 400-level ART courses have pre-requisites
Are there any registration blocks or holds in the system for this major, and if so, what do I do/who do I contact to clear them? No.
Does this major have an approved Associate Degree for Transfer (ADT) roadmap?


[Click here for ADT Roadmap]

Freshmen Student Info

Are there any courses I should take first as a Freshman to get started in this major and/or are there any lower division GE course requirements that I can take that will also count toward this major?
Take two:
ART 201
ART 222
ART 231
ART 235
ART 240
ART 245
ART 260
Take two:
ARTH 201
ARTH 202
ARTH 205


Are there entry or prerequisite requirements for these Freshmen courses?


Can any of my AP or IB tests count toward requirements in this major?
AP in Art History



College of Liberal and Creative Arts Advising Resource Center (ARC)

Services provided for: Undergraduate students pursuing a major, minor or certificate in the College of Liberal and Creative Arts.

Services offered: Academic planning, general education advising, academic probation advising, petition consultation, career prep and planning, major career exploration, graduation check (GE and graduation requirements), study abroad, connecting with communities and discovering campus resources.

Phone: (415) 338-1486