Major Requirements (SF State Bulletin: Degree Requirements)

Roadmap (SF State Bulletin: Roadmap)

GE Requirements (SF State Bulletin: General Education)

Major Department Website

Your major advisor answered a few questions to assist you with your first semester courses — see below.

General Information

What are some of the highlights and features to know about this major? Our Undergraduate program adheres to a four-field approach that includes instruction in Archaeology, Biological/Physical Anthropology, Socio-Cultural Anthropology and Visual Anthropology.
When should I first meet with my major department? Students are encouraged to meet with their primary advisors and/or the Undergraduate Coordinator in the first weeks of their first semester to plan a roadmap to graduation and definitely before they enroll in next semester courses.
How will I be assigned to a major advisor and how do I contact them? Major advisor assignment is done alphabetically by student surname. Students should request assistance from the Department Manager (Fine Arts Building Room 525; 415-338-2046) who can inform students of who their primary advisors are, their office location and office hours.
Where can I find information about major advising?

Department Office and Salon: Fine Arts Room 525

Department telephone number: (415) 338-2046

Department e-mail address:

Department Website:

Faculty/Advisor Listing:

Does this major require any pre-work from me before I attend orientation or register for classes? Undergraduate Advising: Each year we assign primary advisors to our undergraduate majors. The assignments are made alphabetically by student surname. Students should meet with their primary advisors the first semester of attendance, for routine matters and general advising for the major.
What should I do if my major core and/or prequisite courses are full? We have not had any core course bottlenecks in recent years and we do not anticipate any this coming semester. If this becomes a concern, students should meet with the Undergraduate Coordinator and/or advisor.
Any additional information you would like to include for students and/or advisors:

The major has a requirement of at least 1 upper-division course in each of three subfields (Cultural, Biological and Archaeology).

Transfer Student Info

What upper division courses should I take in my first semester as a transfer student for this major?

ANTH 300: Foundation of Anthropology

ANTH 305: GW Writing Anthropology

Area 1: Choose 1 course-3 units

ANTH 301: Foundations of Archaeology

ANTH 302: Foundations of Human Variation

ANTH 303: Foundations of Visual Anthropology

Are there any prerequisites to these upper division courses for the major? The 100 Introduction courses (ANTH 110, 110, 120) and 300 Foundations (Anth 300, 305GW) are prerequisites for many upper-division courses.
Are there any registration blocks or holds in the system for this major, and if so, what do I do/who do I contact to clear them? All prerequisites in the major are instructor approved and not enforced in the enrollment.  Prerequisites for courses can often be overridden by Consent of Instructor. Students should also be aware that they may be dropped from the course if they do not contact the instructor for approval.
Does this major have an approved Associate Degree for Transfer (ADT) roadmap?


[Click here for ADT Roadmap]

Freshmen Student Info

Are there any courses I should take first as a Freshman to get started in this major and/or are there any lower division GE course requirements that I can take that will also count toward this major?

ANTH 100: Intro to Biological Anthropology

ANTH 110: Intro to Archaeology

ANTH 120: Intro to Sociocultural Anthropology

ANTH 130: Introduction to Visual Anthropology

Are there entry or prerequisite requirements for these Freshmen courses?

Not applicable.

Can any of my AP or IB tests count toward requirements in this major? Not applicable.

College of Liberal & Creative Arts Advising Resource Center (ARC)

Services provided for: Undergraduate students pursuing a major, minor or certificate in the College of Liberal and Creative Arts.

Services offered: Academic planning, general education advising, academic probation advising, petition consultation, career prep and planning, major career exploration, graduation check (GE and graduation requirements), study abroad, connecting with communities and discovering campus resources.

Phone: (415) 338-1486
Location: HUM 112