Urban Studies and Planning

Major Requirements (SF State Bulletin: Degree Requirements)

Roadmap (SF State Bulletin: Roadmap)

GE Requirements (SF State Bulletin: General Education)

Major Department Website

Your major advisor answered a few questions to assist you with your first semester courses — see below.

General Information

What are some of the highlights and features to know about this major? The Urban Studies and Planning (USP) major will prepare students for careers in or further study of a variety of urban-related fields, including city planning, housing, transportation, and community development, especially in the public and non-profit sectors. It is structured to introduce students to the multi-disciplinary nature of the field, but with a good deal of flexibility in course selection. A sequence of two research methods courses and two capstone courses (an internship and either the senior seminar or a senior thesis) are core parts of the curriculum. USP is also the home of the student-run journal Urban Action, and some credit is available for working on the journal.
When should I first meet with my major department?

At the start of the first semester in which students register for USP classes.  Transfer students should meet with a faculty advisor before registration of courses for the second semester; lower-division students should wait until the last semester of their sophomore year to meet with a major advisor.

How will I be assigned to a major advisor and how do I contact them? Major advisors are not assigned at this time - any USP faculty member can serve as an advisor for the major.  All office hours are on the department website.  The best way to contact advisors is to drop in during their office hours; and the second best way is through email. 
Where can I find information about major advising? Major advising can be found on the department website
Does your department have a major planning sheet for me to use as a guide? No, we do not have a major planning sheet.
Does this major require any pre-work from me before I attend orientation or register for classes? No.
What should I do if my major core and/or prerequisite courses are full? Attend the first class to see if you can get in and/or talk to an advisor as soon as possible and/or take major electives (20-22 total elective units must be earned to complete degree) until the following semester.
Is there anything else I need to know about starting in this major? While advising is not mandatory, it is highly recommended. Classes like USP 401GW and USP 402 are good to take as early as possible. They introduce the field and serve as courses where you will meet fellow students in your cohort in the major.

Transfer Student Info

What upper division courses should I take in my first semester as a transfer student for this major?

Almost all of our courses are upper-division, so the ones to take first if possible are the core courses that don't have prerequisites.  Transfer students should enroll into:

(1) USP 401GW and/or 

(2) USP 402 and/or 

(3) USP 492 and/or 

(4) USP 480 or USP 658 and/or

(5) Major electives.

Are there any prerequisites to these upper division courses for the major?

USP 401GW Prerequisite: Restricted to upper-division Urban Studies and Planning majors and minors; GE Area A2; or consent of the instructor.

USP 402 Prerequisites: Upper division standing (60+ units earned). 

USP 492 Prerequisites: Upper division standing. 

USP 480 Prerequisites: Upper division standing. 

USP 658 Prerequisites: Upper division standing. 

The prerequisite(s) of each major elective vary.  Please check the course description for the prerequisites (if any) of each elective course on the bulletin before enrolling into it or speak to an advisor. 

Are there any registration blocks or holds in the system for this major, and if so, what do I do/who do I contact to clear them? No.
Does this major have an approved Associate Degree for Transfer (ADT) roadmap?


Freshmen Student Info

Are there any courses I should take first as a Freshman to get started in this major and/or are there any lower division GE course requirements that I can take that will also count toward this major? No, but students could take USP 200 if interested in wanting an introduction to the major, it is not necessary.  Note, lower-division students cannot take major courses until they have upper division standing (60+ units). Therefore, students should focus on completing their lower division general education (GE) courses, Areas A-D. 
Are there entry or prerequisite requirements for these Freshmen courses?

Not applicable.

Can any of my AP or IB tests count toward requirements in this major? Not applicable.



College of Health & Social Sciences Student Resource Center

Services provided for: Undergraduate students with College of Health and Social Sciences majors, pre-majors and minors.

Services offered: Academic planning (GE, DARs, DPR and major), freshman transitioning support, impacted major consultation, academic probation advising, general life/support counseling, petition consultation, career prep and planning, major career exploration, graduation check (GE and graduation requirements), resume and cover letter help

Phone: (415) 405-3740
Website: chss.sfsu.edu/src
Email: srcenter@sfsu.edu