Sociology and Sexuality Studies, Sociology major, BA Degree

Major Requirements (SF State Bulletin: Degree Requirements)

Roadmap (SF State Bulletin: Roadmap)

GE Requirements (SF State Bulletin: General Education)

Major Department Website

Your major advisor answered a few questions to assist you with your first semester courses — see below.

General Information

What are some of the highlights and features to know about this major?

Students need to complete at least one Sociology course with a “C” or higher before getting into the Sociology major. That Sociology course can be completed at another college, but must show up on the student’s transcript as being completed; the course cannot be taken concurrently.

Lower division and transfer students need a 2.00 GPA in order to be admitted into the major.

Students can take Sociology elective courses before declaring the major, but not Sociology core courses.

The major requires five core courses (19 units) taken in sequence, plus 23 units of elective courses. It takes a minimum of three semesters to complete the five core courses and students typically do not get into the first core course until they are second semester juniors.

When should I first meet with my major department? The department strongly encourages students to meet with an advisor early during their first semester at SFSU regardless of academic rank. Students should also meet with their major advisor during office hours or by appointment before the next registration period. Each student is assigned to an advisor based on last name.
How will I be assigned to a major advisor and how do I contact them? Each student is assigned to an advisor based on their last name.   The best way to find an advisor/your advisor is to visit the department's advising website, or contact the main office.  Office hours for each advisor can be found by clicking the indvidual advisor name on the advising website.
Where can I find information about major advising? Please visit the department's advising website.
Does your department have a major planning sheet for me to use as a guide? Yes, we have a major planning sheet.
Does this major require any pre-work from me before I attend orientation or register for classes? In order to take the required core courses students must be declared a Sociology major before registering for classes. Students can submit their Change of Major request with the department.
What should I do if my major core and/or prerequisite courses are full? When the required core courses are full, students should focus on the 23–24 units of Sociology electives required to complete the major. Please note, in fulfilling the elective requirements students must complete at least one course from each of the following two areas: Area 1- Inequalities in the United States and Area 2- Global Inequalities. Remaining electives may be taken from either area.

Transfer Student Info

What upper division courses should I take in my first semester as a transfer student for this major?

Once students have completed a Sociology course (lower or upper division course with "SOC" prefix), and have junior status, transfer students can enroll in (1) Sociology electives which are also required to complete the major as well as (2) Upper division general education (GE) courses (UD-B, UD-C, UD-D).

Are there any prerequisites to these upper division courses for the major?

Completion of a Sociology course, junior standing (60+ units earned).

Upper division GE courses (UD-B, UD-C, UD-D) Prerequisites: Upper division standing; and/or successful completion of GE Areas A1, A2, A3, and B4 or consent of the instructor.

Sociology instructors will check students' prerequisites prior to the beginning of the semester.

Are there any registration blocks or holds in the system for this major, and if so, what do I do/who do I contact to clear them?

Students cannot enroll into any of the major core courses without the completion of SOC 300 GWAR.  

Does this major have an approved Associate Degree for Transfer (ADT) roadmap? Yes, the AA-T in Sociology.   

Freshmen Student Info

Are there any courses I should take first as a Freshman to get started in this major and/or are there any lower division GE course requirements that I can take that will also count toward this major?

Freshmen should enroll into at least one Sociology prefixed course, options include:

SOC 105, SOC 110, SOC 200, SOC 245, SOC 272, SOC 275.

All courses except SOC 272 and SOC 275 meet the GE Area D requirement. 

Are there entry or prerequisite requirements for these Freshmen courses?

SOC 272 Prerequisite: ENG 114.

Can any of my AP or IB tests count toward requirements in this major? Not applicable.



College of Health & Social Sciences Student Resource Center

Services provided for: Undergraduate students with College of Health and Social Sciences majors, pre-majors and minors.

Services offered: Academic planning (GE, DARs, DPR and major), freshman transitioning support, impacted major consultation, academic probation advising, general life/support counseling, petition consultation, career prep and planning, major career exploration, graduation check (GE and graduation requirements), resume and cover letter help

Phone: (415) 405-3740