Health Education Major, BS Degree

Major Requirements (SF State Bulletin: Degree Requirements)

Roadmap (SF State Bulletin: Roadmap)

GE Requirements (SF State Bulletin: General Education)

HED Handout (SRC pdf)

Major Department Website

Your major advisor answered a few questions to assist you with your first semester courses — see below.

General Information

What are some of the highlights and features to know about this major?

The Department of Health Education recently changed its name to the Department of Public Health. Our undergraduate degree remains a BS in Health Education. Beginning with Fall 2021-2022 admission year, the Health Education major will no longer be impacted on both the freshman and transfer levels. Lifting program impaction allows the University to offer admission to applicants that apply to our major and meet minimum CSU eligibility requirements. The Department of Public Health BS program is nationally accredited by the Council on Education for Public Health. Our major promotes health and health equity at the individual, community, and structural levels through transformative education, research, scholarship and service, all of which value diversity, engage communities and are grounded in cultural humility. Our curriculum is designed in four semester tiers, where the content, knowledge, and skills required for our students build upon each other in sequential semesters. To complete the major course requirements, students have a choice to concentrate on one of our two emphasis areas to complete the total units required for the major (51-54 units):

1. Community Based Public Health (3 courses/9 units)

2. Holistic Health (4 courses/12 units) 

When should I first meet with my major department?

We encourage lower division students to attend one of our Lower Division Group Advising Sessions during the fall or spring semesters. Check the department website for our scheduled dates to register during the beginning of August. You should meet one-on-one with a major advisor once you have completed 45 units and are in your sophomore year. All new majors that are at upper division standing (60+ units completed) major should meet with a major advisor before beginning the sequenced courses. All new transfers admitted to the Health Education major should meet with a major advisor during their summer orientations prior to starting in their fall semester and beginning the sequenced courses. Check the department website,, in June for major advising dates for new transfers to register. 

How will I be assigned to a major advisor and how do I contact them?

We are in the midst of updating our advising system. For now, please contact Atina Delfino at to find out how to get an advisor. 

Where can I find information about major advising?

You will find more information at this link:

Does your department have a major planning sheet for me to use as a guide? Yes, we have a major plannning sheet.
Does this major require any pre-work from me before I attend orientation or register for classes?

• To attend a major Group Advising Orientation Session: Freshmen/Sophomores: No pre-work is needed. 

• To attend a major Summer Advising Orientation for new admitted Transfers: No pre-work is needed. 

• To register for major sequence courses: Prerequisite courses need to be taken prior. In addition, students must have completed 60 or more semester college units to be considered upper division for the major, completed GE Area A2, B4, and Area E to be eligible. 

All other students interested in our major or minor can choice to take other available electives that are not sequenced. 

What should I do if my major core and/or prerequisite courses are full?

Students may attend the first day of classes to check on the availability. The instructor and the undergraduate program coordinator will check on your eligibility and available openings, as there may be spots that open up.

Is there anything else I need to know about starting in this major?

Students must be junior/upper division standing (completed at least 60 units) by the time they start the major and have fulfilled the prerequisites: Completed GE Area A2; Area E; taken MATH 124 or equivalent (B4). Our major requires advanced coursework in Areas B2 and B3. Therefore, it is strongly recommended to have taken and completed Human Biology lecture/lab (BIO 100+101) and Microbiology lecture/lab (BIO 210+211) prior or concurrently with major courses. 

Transfer Student Info

What upper division courses should I take in my first semester as a transfer student for this major?

Semester One Sequenced (required to enroll #1-4; #5* required for major):

(1) PH 400 GWAR Community Assessment in Public Health;

(2) PH 405 Introduction to Community/Public Health;

(3) PH 425 Introduction to research and statistics in health;

(4) PH 655 Environmental health;

*Highly encourage transfer students to enroll in the below course during their first year or by their 4th semester in the major. Some transfer students have taken an equivalent course prior to admission, check to check on transferable courses from your college.

(5)* PH 210 Personal & Social Determinants of Health OR PHJ 290 Promoting Positive Health. 

Are there any prerequisites to these upper division courses for the major?

Prerequisites for PH 400 GWAR: Restricted to upper-division Health Education majors, completed GE Area A2; and concurrent enrollment in PH 405 and PH 425. 

Prerequisites for PH 405: Restricted to Health Education major/minors. Health Education Majors must be taken concurrently with PH 400GW and PH 425. (Exceptions to concurrency requirement by consent of advisor.) 

Prerequisites for PH 425: Restricted to Upper-division Health Education majors; completed MATH 124 or equivalent; and concurrent enrollment in PH 400GW and PH 405. (Exceptions to concurrency requirement by consent of advisor.) 

PH 655 Prerequisites: Restricted to upper-division Health Education majors. 

Are there any registration blocks or holds in the system for this major, and if so, what do I do/who do I contact to clear them?

No registration blocks or holds.

Does this major have an approved Associate Degree for Transfer (ADT) roadmap? Yes, the AS-T in Public Health Science.

Freshmen Student Info

Are there any courses I should take first as a Freshman to get started in this major and/or are there any lower division GE course requirements that I can take that will also count toward this major?

(1) GE Area A1 requirement; and

(2) GE Area A2 requirement; and

(3) MATH 124, ISED 160 OR AU 117 (meets the GE Area B4 requirement); and

(4) Any other lower division Areas A-E (except Area B2+Area B3). 

Are there entry or prerequisite requirements for these Freshmen courses?

MATH 124, ISED 160 OR AU 117 Prerequisites: Students with Category I or II placement for QR/Math, or satisfactory completion of ELM requirement, or Math 70 or ESM 70 with a grade of C or better. Students with Category III or IV placement for QR/Math or students who have not passed MATH 70 or ESM 70 with a C or better or satisfied the ELM must concurrently enroll in MATH 123 with MATH 124; or MATH 122 with ISED 160.

Can any of my AP or IB tests count toward requirements in this major?

AP Statistics with a passing score of 4 or better will satisfy MATH 124. 




College of Health & Social Sciences Student Resource Center

Services provided for: Undergraduate students with College of Health and Social Sciences majors, pre-majors and minors.

Services offered: Academic planning (GE, DARs, DPR and major), freshman transitioning support, impacted major consultation, academic probation advising, general life/support counseling, petition consultation, career prep and planning, major career exploration, graduation check (GE and graduation requirements), resume and cover letter help

Phone: (415) 405-3740