Criminal Justice Studies

Major Requirements (SF State Bulletin: Degree Requirements)

Roadmap (SF State Bulletin: Roadmap)

GE Requirements (SF State Bulletin: General Education)

CJ Handout (SRC pdf)

Major Department Website

Your major advisor answered a few questions to assist you with your first semester courses — see below.

General Information

What are some of the highlights and features to know about this major? We now informally allow any 8 electives instead 2 in each of our 4 elective categories. 
When should I first meet with my major department? Anytime.
How will I be assigned to a major advisor and how do I contact them? Contact any advisor during office hours or via email; we do not assign students to a major advisor. 
Where can I find information about major advising? Please see CJ's website.
Does this major require any pre-work from me before I attend orientation or register for classes? No.
What should I do if my major core and/or prequisite courses are full? Students should take CJ electives offered by other departments (non CJ prefixed courses) and work on upper division GE requirements. 

Transfer Student Info

What upper division courses should I take in my first semester as a transfer student for this major? CJ 300, CJ 323 GWAR or CJ 330 GWAR, and any CJ electives. 
Are there any prerequisites to these upper division courses for the major?

CJ 300 Prerequisites: Restricted to students with upper-division standing (60+ units earned); successful completion of GE Areas A1, A2, A3, and B4; ENG 214 with a grade of C- or better.

CJ 323GWAR or CJ 330GWAR:  Restricted to upper division Criminal Justice majors; CJ 300 (may be taken concurrently), ENG 214 or equivalent with a grade of C- or better.

Note: Many of the CJ prefixed electives require the completion of CJ 300.  Non prefixed CJ electives may not require CJ 300, but may have varied prerequisites.  Please consult the course description on the major's bulletin to ensure you have met the prerequsites.

Are there any registration blocks or holds in the system for this major, and if so, what do I do/who do I contact to clear them? Students cannot register for courses unless they have 60-units — currently there is no process to clear this.
Does this major have an approved Associate Degree for Transfer (ADT) roadmap?

Yes, the AAT Administration of Justice.  We will also accept the Social Justice Studies, Sociology and Law, Public Policy and Society

Freshmen Student Info

Are there any courses I should take first as a Freshman to get started in this major and/or are there any lower division GE course requirements that I can take that will also count toward this major? Not applicable.
Are there entry or prerequisite requirements for these Freshmen courses?

Not applicable.

Can any of my AP or IB tests count toward requirements in this major? Not applicable.

College of Health & Social Sciences Student Resource Center (SRC)

Services provided for: Undergraduate students with College of Health and Social Sciences majors, pre-majors and minors.

Services offered: Academic planning (GE, DARs, DPR and major), freshman transitioning support, impacted major consultation, academic probation advising, general life/support counseling, petition consultation, career prep and planning, major career exploration, graduation check (GE and graduation requirements), resume and cover letter help

Phone: (415) 405-3740
Location: HSS 254