Child and Adolescent Development: Concentration in School Age Child and Family

Major Requirements (SF State Bulletin: Degree Requirements)

Roadmap (SF State Bulletin: Roadmap)

GE Requirements (SF State Bulletin: General Education)

Department Handout (Major Planning Sheet)

CAD Handout (SRC pdf)

Major Department Website

Your major advisor answered a few questions to assist you with your first semester courses — see below.

General Information

What are some of the highlights and features to know about this major?

Students must be upper-division with 60-units completed by start of semester admitted; students should take CAD 210, 260, and ENG 214 since they are prerequisites to all the upper division core courses; students must select 1 of 3 concentrations: 1) Early Childhood, 2) School Age, and 3) Youth Work & Out of School Time; the complementary studies requirement will be met by virtue of being in the major.

When should I first meet with my major department? We encourage all new majors to come to advising as soon as your first semester begins.
How will I be assigned to a major advisor and how do I contact them? We do not assign students to a major advisor.  Students can see whomever they want of the Tenured and/or Tenure-Track faculty.  Students can come to the dept office (SCI 394) to set up an appointment or can call (415) 405-3564 or email the office at
Where can I find information about major advising?

We list faculty advisors’ schedules each semester on our website under the "Advising" tab and also have advising planning worksheets available for students to download.

Does this major require any pre-work from me before I attend orientation or register for classes? None.
What should I do if my major core and/or prequisite courses are full? You can begin to take classes in your concentration.
Is there anything else I need to know about starting in this major? Review the CAD website which can answer many of your questions.

Transfer Student Info

What upper division courses should I take in my first semester as a transfer student for this major?

(1) CAD 300 Professional Roles and Careers in Child and Adolescent Development and/or (2) CAD 410 Applied Child and Youth Development are the first courses students should take.

Are there any prerequisites to these upper division courses for the major? There are prerequisites for CAD 410:
CAD 210 with grade of C or better
CAD 260 with grade of C or better
ENG 214 with grade of C- or better
Are there any registration blocks or holds in the system for this major, and if so, what do I do/who do I contact to clear them? None.
Does this major have an approved Associate Degree for Transfer (ADT) roadmap?

Yes, the AS-T in Early Childhood Education and effective Spring 2019 the AA-T Child and Adolescent Development.

Freshmen Student Info

Are there any courses I should take first as a Freshman to get started in this major and/or are there any lower division GE course requirements that I can take that will also count toward this major?

If  in Metro CAD Cohort: Take CAD 120 (meets GE Areas C2, E/LLD; AERM, GP, SJ), and/or (1) CAD 210 (meets GE Areas D1), and/or (2) CAD 260 (meets GE Areas D1, E/LLD; AERM, GP, SJ)

Are there entry or prerequisite requirements for these Freshmen courses?

There are prerequisites for CAD 210 and CAD 260:  ENG 114 or equivalent with a C or better.

Can any of my AP or IB tests count toward requirements in this major? None.

College of Health & Social Sciences Student Resource Center (SRC)

Services provided for: Undergraduate students with College of Health and Social Sciences majors, pre-majors and minors.

Services offered: Academic planning (GE, DARs, DPR and major), freshman transitioning support, impacted major consultation, academic probation advising, general life/support counseling, petition consultation, career prep and planning, major career exploration, graduation check (GE and graduation requirements), resume and cover letter help

Phone: (415) 405-3740
Location: HSS 254