Child and Adolescent Development: Concentration in Early Childhood

Major Requirements (SF State Bulletin: Degree Requirements)

Roadmap (SF State Bulletin: Roadmap)

GE Requirements (SF State Bulletin: General Education)

Department Handout (Major Planning Sheet)

CAD Handout (SRC pdf)

Major Department Website

Your major advisor answered a few questions to assist you with your first semester courses — see below.

General Information

What are some of the highlights and features to know about this major?

Students must select one of three concentrations:

1) Early Childhood,

2) School Age Child & Family, and

3) Youth Work & Out of School Time;

the complementary studies requirement will be met by virtue of being in an interdisciplinary major.

When should I first meet with my major department? We encourage all lower division students to first meet with a major advisor a semester before becoming an upper division student (e.g., about 45 units completed). We encourage first year students to meet with Academic Counselors from the Undergraduate Advising Center (UAC) in ADM 211.  Continuing students students should meet with advisors at the CHSS Student Resource Center (SRC). Please check the department's website for lower division CAD student group advising opportunities. All new majors who are at upper division standing (60+ units completed) are encouraged to meet with a major advisor as soon as you are accepted into the major and are also taking courses at the University.
How will I be assigned to a major advisor and how do I contact them? We do not assign students to a specific major advisor. Students can see whomever they want of the Tenured and/or Tenure-Track faculty. Students can come to the dept. office (SCI 394) to set up an appointment or can call (415) 405-3564 or email the office at
Where can I find information about major advising?

We list faculty advisors’ schedules each semester on our website under “Student Resources”, and then under “Advising”, and also have advising planning worksheets available for students to download. 

Does your department have a major planning sheet for me to use as a guide? Yes, we have a major planning sheet.
Does this major require any pre-work from me before I attend orientation or register for classes? None.
What should I do if my major core and/or prerequisite courses are full? You can begin to take classes in your concentration.
Is there anything else I need to know about starting in this major? Review the CAD website which can answer many of your questions.

Transfer Student Info

What upper division courses should I take in my first semester as a transfer student for this major?

(1) CAD 215 Foundations in Early Childhood or CAD 230 Principles and Practices in Early Childhood Programs if students have not completed the community college equivalent to CAD 215;

(2) CAD 300 Professional Roles and Careers in Child and Adolescent Development;

(3) CAD 410 Applied Child and Youth Development;

(4) CAD 450 Understanding and Working with Diverse Families; and/or

(5) Course(s) from concentration.

Are there any prerequisites to these upper division courses for the major?

Prerequisite for CAD 300: Must be declared Child and Adolescent Development major.

Prerequisites for CAD 410: CAD 210 with grade of C or better. CAD 260 with grade of C or better.

Prerequisites for CAD 450: Must be declared Child and Adolescent Development major and completion of CAD 210 and CAD 260 or equivalents.

Course(s) from concentration Prerequisites: Each course from the concentration may vary. Please consult the course description to ensure you have met the prerequisites before enrolling.

Are there any registration blocks or holds in the system for this major, and if so, what do I do/who do I contact to clear them? None.
Does this major have an approved Associate Degree for Transfer (ADT) roadmap?

Yes, the AS-T in Early Childhood Education and the AA-T Child and Adolescent Development.

Freshmen Student Info

Are there any courses I should take first as a Freshman to get started in this major and/or are there any lower division GE course requirements that I can take that will also count toward this major?

(1) CAD 210 (meets GE Areas D1), and 

(2) CAD 260 (meets GE Areas D1; AERM, GP, SJ). 

Students in the Early Childhood concentration can also take:

(3) CAD 215 or CAD 230.

Are there entry or prerequisite requirements for these Freshmen courses?

Prerequisites for CAD 210: ENG 114 or equivalent. 

Prerequisites for CAD 260:  ENG 114 or equivalent. 

Can any of my AP or IB tests count toward requirements in this major? None.



College of Health & Social Sciences Student Resource Center

Services provided for: Undergraduate students with College of Health and Social Sciences majors, pre-majors and minors.

Services offered: Academic planning (GE, DARs, DPR and major), freshman transitioning support, impacted major consultation, academic probation advising, general life/support counseling, petition consultation, career prep and planning, major career exploration, graduation check (GE and graduation requirements), resume and cover letter help

Phone: (415) 405-3740