Communicative Disorders

Major Requirements (SF State Bulletin: Degree Requirements)

Roadmap (SF State Bulletin: Roadmap)

GE Requirements (SF State Bulletin: General Education)

Major Department Website

Your major advisor answered a few questions to assist you with your first semester courses — see below.

General Information

What are some of the highlights and features to know about this major? Students should know that graduate school will likely be required of them if they would like to go into a career in speech pathology, audiology, or special education/teaching/clinical careers. As of Fall 2017, the CD undergraduate program is transitioning from a BA degree to a BS degree.  This will result in students being required to take 13 core courses (39 units).
When should I first meet with my major department? Prior to enrollment in any CD courses, the student should make every effort to meet with an advisor, as well as complete a Undergraduate CD Major Guide and consult the CD Website  The student should complete the Major Guide form and bring it to their advising appointment.
How will I be assigned to a major advisor and how do I contact them?

There are many opportunities for advising in the CD program, including a) mandatory orientation at the start of each semester, b) scheduled group advising during the first two weeks of each semester, c) individual advising appointments scheduled with our AOC, Ms. Mallorie Desimone ( 

Each semester, all CD students must meet with an advisor to update their individualized degree roadmap.  Undergraduate advisors are:

Dr. Laura Epstein, (415) 405-2170 (

Dr. Teresa Gray, 415-338-1058 (

Dr. Marcia Raggio, (415) 338-7653 (

Dr. Patti Solomon-Rice, (415) 338-7652 (

Dr. Gloria Soto, (415) 338-1757 (

Dr. Betty Yu, (415) 338-3429 (

Where can I find information about major advising?
Does this major require any pre-work from me before I attend orientation or register for classes?

There are no preauthorization processes that students will need to go through in order to declare as a Communicative Disorders major for Fall 2017. However, students must have a 2.0 GPA to declare the CD major.

In addition, it is highly recommended that students complete a CD Major guide (downloadable from this link: scroll about 3/4 of the way down the page) and follow-up with a CD academic advisor.

What should I do if my major core and/or prequisite courses are full? The CD Program is planning to have sufficient course sections to accommodate all incoming juniors and transfer students.
Is there anything else I need to know about starting in this major?

We will be having an All-CD Student Fall Orientation — we will be emailing students with more details later. 

We welcome all CD majors to join our student organization, the National Student Speech-Language-Hearing Association (NSSLHA:  Meeting time and location will be announced at the Fall Orientation. 

Transfer Student Info

What upper division courses should I take in my first semester as a transfer student for this major?

CD 300: Human Communicative Disorders

CD 651: Anatomy & Phys. Of the Speech Mechanism (requires a stats, bio and social science prerequisite, and concurrent enrollment in CD 655 and CD 652).

CD 652: Audiology (requires a stats, bio and social science prerequisite and concurrent enrollment in CD 655 and CD 651)

CD 655: Dynamics of Communication Development

*All upper division GE courses can be taken at this time as well.

Are there any prerequisites to these upper division courses for the major?

A statistics course.

A biological sciences course in one of the following areas: human or animal bio, human anatomy and physiology, neuroanatomy or veterinary science.

A course in social/behavioral sciences in one of the following areas: psychology, sociology, anthropology or public health.

A course in physical science such as physics or chemistry.  Most, if not all, graduate programs in speech-language pathology and audiology require the B1 course to be Physics or Chemistry, so if students are interested in these careers they should plan to take physics or chemistry. 

Are there any registration blocks or holds in the system for this major, and if so, what do I do/who do I contact to clear them? Transfer students cannot enroll in CD 651 or CD 652 unless they have 60 units, but they will be able to enroll in CD 300 and CD 655.  For CD 651 and CD 652, students are recommended to attend the first day of class and obtain an add permission number from the instructor, if seats are available. 
Does this major have an approved Associate Degree for Transfer (ADT) roadmap? No.

Freshmen Student Info

Are there any courses I should take first as a Freshman to get started in this major and/or are there any lower division GE course requirements that I can take that will also count toward this major?

While in their first two years at SFSU students should focus on taking a statistics course (B4), a biological science course (B2), a social or behavioral science (D1), physical science (B1) (Physics or Chemistry) course to satisfy prerequisites for upper-division major courses.

Most, if not all, graduate programs in speech-language pathology and audiology require the B1 course to be Physics or Chemistry, so if students are interested in these careers they should plan to take Physics or Chemistry.  Students should also be focusing on all lower-division GE courses to satisfy lower-division requirements.

The Communicative Disorders major does not have lower division coursework for students to complete in their first two years, so satisfying these prerequisite courses will help students stay on track to begin their major coursework starting in their junior year.

Are there entry or prerequisite requirements for these Freshmen courses?

All of the above prerequisite courses MUST be taken PRIOR to starting CD major courses.  Please see the CD Undergraduate Advising Handbook [see above] for suggested courses in each of these areas and Section 4b (below).

Can any of my AP or IB tests count toward requirements in this major? There are no AP/IB courses that satisfy major requirements for Communicative Disorders.

Graduate College of Education TEACH (The Education Advising Community Hub)

Services provided for: students in the Graduate College of Education majors, minors and courses.

Services include: advising for GE, non-major requirements, probation, petition consultation, support for the Education Minor, academic planning, educational careers and teacher pathways.

Phone: (415) 405-4123
Location: Burk Hall Room 311