Bachelor of Science in Nutrition and Dietetics: Concentration in Foods and Community Nutrition

Major Requirements (SF State Bulletin: Degree Requirements)

Roadmap (SF State Bulletin: Roadmap)

GE Requirements (SF State Bulletin: General Education)

Major Department Website

Your major advisor answered a few questions to assist you with your first semester courses — see below.

General Information

When should I first meet with my major department? We would suggest for freshman to meet with our Academic Counselors at the Student Resource Center (SRC) in HSS 254 and for transfer students to meet with a faculty advisor as soon as possible; at the beginning of each semester.
How will I be assigned to a major advisor and how do I contact them? Students declared as Nutrition and Dietetics majors are assigned alphabetically to an advisor in their area. The best method of contact is to email to request an appointment or physically sign up for an appointment outside of the faculty office. 
Where can I find information about major advising? On our department website, under the "Advising" link on the Student Resources tab.
Does this major require any pre-work from me before I attend orientation or register for classes?

Students may register for courses without meeting with an advisor. However, we do have an advising process and ask that all upper-division/transfer students meet with a major advisor to develop an advising folder which includes a semester by semester course plan.  Freshman we ask to meet with our Academic Counselors at the SRC in HSS 254 as they are quite knowledgeable regarding program prerequisites/requirements.

Does this major have GE courses that are met in major?


What should I do if my major core and/or prequisite courses are full? If a course is full, the student should attend the first several days of the class as drops and adds will occur.
Is there anything else I need to know about starting in this major?

There are two concentrations with the Bachelor of Science in Nutrition and Dietetics:

1) Concentration in Dietetics and Nutrition Science (formerly titled Dietetics & Food Management) and is off impaction as of Fall 2019;

2) Concentration in Foods and Community Nutrition (formerly the Nutrition/Foodservice Systems Management emphasis from the Bachelor of Arts in Family and Consumer Science major).

Transfer Student Info

What upper division courses should I take in my first semester as a transfer student for this major?

(1) HTM 560; and/or (2) NUTR 353GW; and/or (3) NUTR 357 (also meets GE UD-B);  and/or (4) An upper division GE course (UD-C and/or UD-D with SF State Studies).

Are there any prerequisites to these upper division courses for the major?

HTM 560 Prerequisite: Must have upper-division standing (60+ units earned); or consent of the instructor.

NUTR 353GW Prerequisites: Must be declared Nutrition & Dietetics, have upper-division standing, completed GE Area A2 and NUTR 253 with a grade of C- or better.

NUTR 357 Prerequisites: Must have upper-division standing; Successful completion of GE Areas A1, A2, A3, and B4; or consent of the instructor.

Upper division GE courses (UD-B UD-C or UD-D) Prerequisites: Successful completion of GE Areas A1, A2, A3, and B4.

Are there any registration blocks or holds in the system for this major, and if so, what do I do/who do I contact to clear them?

Yes, prerequisites are enforced in the enrollment system. If prerequisites were taken at a school not listed on, students should meet with major advisor to determine course equivalency.

If prerequisite is indeed fulfilled, but a student is still having enrollment challenges, the student should contact the Professor and request an add code. 

Does this major have an approved Associate Degree for Transfer (ADT) roadmap? Yes, the AS-T in Nutrition and Dietetics

Freshmen Student Info

Are there any courses I should take first as a Freshman to get started in this major and/or are there any lower division GE course requirements that I can take that will also count toward this major?

(1) MATH 124 (meets GE Area B4); and (2) Any additional lower division general education (GE) courses, Areas A-E/LLD.

Are there entry or prerequisite requirements for these Freshmen courses?

MATH 124 Prerequisites: Category I or II placement for QR/Math, or if Category III/IV placement for QR/Math students must also concurrently enroll into MATH 123.

Can any of my AP or IB tests count toward requirements in this major?

AP Statistics with a passing score of 4 or better will satisfy MATH 124 and B4/QR GE requirement. 

College of Health & Social Sciences Student Resource Center (SRC)

Services provided for: Undergraduate students with College of Health and Social Sciences majors, pre-majors and minors.

Services offered: Academic planning (GE, DARs, DPR and major), freshman transitioning support, impacted major consultation, academic probation advising, general life/support counseling, petition consultation, career prep and planning, major career exploration, graduation check (GE and graduation requirements), resume and cover letter help

Phone: (415) 405-3740
Location: HSS 254