Hospitality and Tourism Management

Major Requirements (SF State Bulletin: Degree Requirements)

Roadmap (SF State Bulletin: Roadmap)

GE Requirements (SF State Bulletin: General Education)

Major Department Website

Your major advisor answered a few questions to assist you with your first semester courses — see below.

General Information

What are some of the highlights and features to know about this major?

The Hospitality and Tourism Management department is part of the Lam Family College of Business. If you have declared Hospitality and Tourism Management as your major, you will earn a Bachelor of Science degree in Hospitality and Tourism Management. You are encouraged to participate in courses as well as activities outside of the classroom. Get involved in clubs, networking, workshops and internships throughout your time at SF State. 

When should I first meet with my major department?

The HTM department is available to meet with you at any time. An advising orientation is held at the beginning of the summer and fall semesters. You can also meet with the department chair or any of the department faculty to discuss your own path to a degree.

How will I be assigned to a major advisor and how do I contact them?

All first time freshmen will be advised by the Undergraduate Advising Center (UAC).

Sophomores, juniors, and seniors can meet with any academic advisor in the Lam Family College of Business Student Success Center (LFCoBSSC) located in BUS 112. Hours are Monday – Friday 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m (closed Friday 12:00 p.m. - 1:00 p.m.).

If you are seeking a degree in Hospitality and Tourism Management, you can select your own faculty advisor. Any HTM faculty member can review your degree roadmap and help devise a plan to graduate in a timely manner. You can visit faculty during their regularly scheduled office hours throughout the semester or you can reach out to them via email. We encourage regular visits between HTM students and their faculty advisors. 

Where can I find information about major advising?

Information about the Hospitality and Tourism Management degree can be found at management/

Does this major require any pre-work from me before I attend orientation or register for classes?

You should review the major requirements and the degree road map which can be found at management/bs-hospitality-tourism-management/ 

What should I do if my major core and/or prerequisite courses are full?

Please see a HTM faculty member who can review your course roadmap and devise a plan to graduate in a timely manner. 

Is there anything else I need to know about starting in this major?

The Hospitality and Tourism Management degree plan has several courses that meet degree requirements as well as university requirements include SF Studies and Upper Division General Education Requirements. Make certain you review your course selections with your HTM faculty advisor to discuss your course selections before registration to ensure you are on the best track to graduation. 

Transfer Student Info

What upper division courses should I take in my first semester as a transfer student for this major? HTM 300 GW, FIN 350, HTM 301 and HTM 357.
Are there any prerequisites to these upper division courses for the major? If not completed prior to entering SF State, you should take HTM 110, ACCT 100, ACCT 101, HTM 120, ECON 101 and ECON 102.
Are there any registration blocks or holds in the system for this major, and if so, what do I do/who do I contact to clear them?

There are no identified road blocks. If you need help with a registration question please contact your HTM faculty advisor. 

Does this major have an approved Associate Degree for Transfer (ADT) roadmap? No

Freshmen Student Info

Are there any courses I should take first as a Freshman to get started in this major and/or are there any lower division GE course requirements that I can take that will also count toward this major?

Students are encouraged to follow the HTM Roadmap that can be found at

HTM 110 Introduction to Hospitality and Tourism Management is a prerequisite to many of the upper division HTM courses, so you are encouraged to take that class in the 3rd semester. HTM 110 also meets SF Studies ES, GP, and SJ requirements. 

Additionally, ECON 101 and ECON 102 are recommended. The Economics department recommends that students take ECON 101 first, even though it is not an official prerequisite for ECON 102.

Are there entry or prerequisite requirements for these Freshmen courses?

If a student is enrolled in ENG 104 or MATH 107, ECON 101 and ECON 102 are NOT recommended. ECON 101 and ECON 102 should be taken after ENG 104 and MATH 107 are completed.

Can any of my AP or IB tests count toward requirements in this major?

AP Statistics, AP Microeconomics and AP Macroeconomics with a minimum score of “3”.

DS 212 will be met with a score of 3 or better on the AP Statistics test.


Lam Family College of Business Student Success Center

Services provided for: undergraduate students in Lam Family College of Business majors and minors.

Services include: Business major requirements, general education, non-major graduation requirements, graduation check, academic probation, study abroad and academic scholarship and honors.

Phone: (415) 405-3531