Major Requirements (SF State Bulletin: Degree Requirements)

Roadmap (SF State Bulletin: Roadmap)

GE Requirements (SF State Bulletin: General Education)

Major Department Website

Your major advisor answered a few questions to assist you with your first semester courses — see below.

General Information

What are some of the highlights and features to know about this major? Upper-division courses in Japanese are generally conducted in Japanese (the target language) and students are expected to use Japanese in their speaking, reading and writing.
When should I first meet with my major department? Those planning to major in Japanese may contact their major advisor prior to the first semester.
How will I be assigned to a major advisor and how do I contact them? Those who have declared the major in Japanese may contact via e-mail.
Where can I find information about major advising?



Does this major require any pre-work from me before I attend orientation or register for classes? Not applicable.
What should I do if my major core and/or prerequisite courses are full? Talk to the instructor at the first day of class.
Is there anything else I need to know about starting in this major? http://bulletin.sfsu.edu/courses/japn/

Transfer Student Info

What upper division courses should I take in my first semester as a transfer student for this major?

Japanese Conversation (JAPN 301)

Japanese Reading & Grammar (JAPN 302)

Are there any prerequisites to these upper division courses for the major?

Third Semester Japanese (JAPN 103)

Individualized Study of Kanji (JAPN 250, Level 1)

Are there any registration blocks or holds in the system for this major, and if so, what do I do/who do I contact to clear them? Not applicable.
Does this major have an approved Associate Degree for Transfer (ADT) roadmap? Not applicable.

Freshmen Student Info

Are there any courses I should take first as a Freshman to get started in this major and/or are there any lower division GE course requirements that I can take that will also count toward this major?

1st semester: First Semester Japanese (JAPN 101)

2nd semester: Second Semester Japanese (JAPN 102)

Are there entry or prerequisite requirements for these Freshmen courses?

The prerequisite course for JAPN 102 is JAPN 101.

Can any of my AP or IB tests count toward requirements in this major?

An AP score of 3 earns 6 units and exemption from taking JAPN 101, 102, 103 and 250-level 1.  An AP score of 4 or 5 earns 6 units and exemption from taking JAPN 101, 102, 103, 250-level 1, 301* and 302*.

* Note that these units do not satisfy the minimum 40 upper division unit requirement for graduation.  

College of Liberal & Creative Arts Advising Resource Center (ARC)

Services provided for: Undergraduate students pursuing a major, minor or certificate in the College of Liberal and Creative Arts.

Services offered: Academic planning, general education advising, academic probation advising, petition consultation, career prep and planning, major career exploration, graduation check (GE and graduation requirements), study abroad, connecting with communities and discovering campus resources.

Phone: (415) 338-1486
Website: advisinglca.sfsu.edu
Email: achieve@sfsu.edu
Location: HUM 112