Major Requirements (SF State Bulletin: Degree Requirements)

Roadmap (SF State Bulletin: Roadmap)

GE Requirements (SF State Bulletin: General Education)

Major Department Website

Your major advisor answered a few questions to assist you with your first semester courses — see below.

General Information

When should I first meet with my major department? Anytime before registration for second semester.
How will I be assigned to a major advisor and how do I contact them? Students may meet with any of the advisors listed on our website. Best way to contact them is to go to their office hours; second best is to email them to make an appointment.
Where can I find information about major advising?
Does this major require any pre-work from me before I attend orientation or register for classes? No, although we recommend talking to an advisor in the major to make sure the major is a good fit for the student and to discuss the student’s more specific goals and expectations for their college education and beyond.
What should I do if my major core and/or prerequisite courses are full? Start working on electives or UD-GE, if core courses are full.

Transfer Student Info

What upper division courses should I take in my first semester as a transfer student for this major? HUM 300, UD-B or UD-D (which won’t be covered in the HUM major), HUM 301 or 303, HUM 425, any HUM upper division elective that seems interesting. We recommend HUM 375, Biography of a City, choosing a city that most interests the student. These courses all count toward the elective requirements.
Are there any prerequisites to these upper division courses for the major? English 214.
Are there any registration blocks or holds in the system for this major, and if so, what do I do/who do I contact to clear them? None
Does this major have an approved Associate Degree for Transfer (ADT) roadmap?


[Click here for ADT Roadmap]

Freshmen Student Info

Are there any courses I should take first as a Freshman to get started in this major and/or are there any lower division GE course requirements that I can take that will also count toward this major? Humanities 130, 220 or 225.
Are there entry or prerequisite requirements for these Freshmen courses?


Can any of my AP or IB tests count toward requirements in this major?

College of Liberal & Creative Arts Advising Resource Center (ARC)

Services provided for: Undergraduate students pursuing a major, minor or certificate in the College of Liberal and Creative Arts.

Services offered: Academic planning, general education advising, academic probation advising, petition consultation, career prep and planning, major career exploration, graduation check (GE and graduation requirements), study abroad, connecting with communities and discovering campus resources.

Phone: (415) 338-1486
Location: HUM 112