Major Requirements (SF State Bulletin: Degree Requirements)

Roadmap (SF State Bulletin: Roadmap)

GE Requirements (SF State Bulletin: General Education)

Dance Handout (pdf)

Major Department Website

Your major advisor answered a few questions to assist you with your first semester courses — see below.

General Information

What are some of the highlights and features to know about this major?
The Bachelor of Arts in Dance curriculum is designed to balance technique, artistry, and academics. Dance is housed with Theatre Arts in the School of Theatre & Dance and students are encouraged to get involved in all aspects of performance and performance support. With two large dance productions r and a few smaller events each yea, there are a number of opportunities for performing on stage.
When should I first meet with my major department?
Dance Placement Auditions for ALL Dance majors and minors will be held on the Saturday before classes begin. For the Fall 2019 semester it will be held, August 24th, from 9am - 12pm in CA 102.
This day is used to asses everyone's level and help determine which course are most appropriate for each student. While it is called an audition, it is not meant to be a typical 'stressful' audition.
How will I be assigned to a major advisor and how do I contact them?
Professor Ray Tadio (if your last name begins with the letter A-M)
Dr. Yutian Wong (if your last name begins with the letter N-Z)
You can find their contact information on our website ( under the PEOPLE tab. This can be done at any time, but we encourage all incoming students to reach out to their advisor ASAP...even before the semester begins.
Where can I find information about major advising?

Our website ( has advising information under the ADVISING tab, including how to figure out who is your advisor. There are "degree planning worksheets" aka DPWs available for each of our emphases on the ADVISING tab (look for the 'worksheets' link on the left sidebar). Hard copies of the DPWs are also available in the main office (Creative Arts 103).

Does this major require any pre-work from me before I attend orientation or register for classes? No.
What should I do if my major core and/or prerequisite courses are full? Students and Dance faculty can discuss and workout registration challenges at Dance Placement Auditions.
Is there anything else I need to know about starting in this major?
Dance majors can start their major requirements as soon as they are on campus. So if you hear SF State orientation staff talking about "getting your GE out of the way" in the first two years...they aren't talking to you. Dance majors will get the most out of the degree and have the most opportunities to participate in production if they consistently take courses in the major.

Transfer Student Info

What upper division courses should I take in my first semester as a transfer student for this major?
DANC 300 and DANC 304.
Are there any prerequisites to these upper division courses for the major?
All incoming students MUST attend Dance Placement Auditions on August 24th. Information is on the School of Theatre & Dance website.
DANC 300GW: GE Area A2 completed
DANC 304: BIOL 100 (or similar or instructor consent)
Are there any registration blocks or holds in the system for this major, and if so, what do I do/who do I contact to clear them?
Always contact your advisor first. 
If they are unable to help come to the main office (Creative Arts 103) to ask Victoria Giari our Academic Office Coordinator or email Kim Schwartz, the Director of the School of Theatre & Dance (
Does this major have an approved Associate Degree for Transfer (ADT) roadmap? No.

Freshmen Student Info

Are there any courses I should take first as a Freshman to get started in this major and/or are there any lower division GE course requirements that I can take that will also count toward this major?
DANC 170, DANC 232 DANC 311 and MUS 120.
BIOL 100 - prerequisite for DANC 304 and GE Area B2
Are there entry or prerequisite requirements for these Freshmen courses?

All incoming students MUST attend Dance Placement Auditions on August 24th. More information is on the School of Theatre & Dance website.

Can any of my AP or IB tests count toward requirements in this major? No.

College of Liberal & Creative Arts Advising Resource Center (ARC)

Services provided for: Undergraduate students pursuing a major, minor or certificate in the College of Liberal and Creative Arts.

Services offered: Academic planning, general education advising, academic probation advising, petition consultation, career prep and planning, major career exploration, graduation check (GE and graduation requirements), study abroad, connecting with communities and discovering campus resources.

Phone: (415) 338-1486
Location: HUM 112