Communication Studies

Major Requirements (SF State Bulletin: Degree Requirements)

Roadmap (SF State Bulletin: Roadmap)

GE Requirements (SF State Bulletin: General Education)

Major Department Website

Your major advisor answered a few questions to assist you with your first semester courses — see below.

General Information

What are some of the highlights and features to know about this major? Communication Studies has a few areas to fulfill, but we are flexible about what courses you use to fulfill them. We require 6-units of lower division coursework, a 4-unit GWAR course, 8 units of work in Social Contexts and Interaction, 8 units in Rhetoric and Performance, 4 units in Research Methods, 8 units of electives and a 2-unit Senior Seminar in the last semester.
When should I first meet with my major department? As soon as possible.
How will I be assigned to a major advisor and how do I contact them? We only use open advising in the COMM department. You can drop in to any open advising session or you can check office hours of any of our advisors to see if they are available outside of open advising sessions. We usually have these weekly and more often during high-traffic times.
Where can I find information about major advising?

Please visit our department website or drop by our main office in HUM 289 for more information. View our BA planner here.

Does this major require any pre-work from me before I attend orientation or register for classes? Not specifically.
What should I do if my major core and/or prerequisite courses are full? You can speak with an advisor about your options. Typically we recommend working on other requirements, such as GE, when you’re unable to get into required courses.

Transfer Student Info

What upper division courses should I take in my first semester as a transfer student for this major? Please make sure to take a GWAR course in your first semester. This is a necessary course for you to have in order to continue with upper-division work in the major.
Are there any prerequisites to these upper division courses for the major? Junior standing is a prerequisite for our upper-division courses. We also have lower-division courses that have no prerequisites.
Are there any registration blocks or holds in the system for this major, and if so, what do I do/who do I contact to clear them? If you do not complete a GWAR course in your first semester of your junior year, you will receive an advising hold.
Does this major have an approved Associate Degree for Transfer (ADT) roadmap?


[Click here for ADT Roadmap]

Freshmen Student Info

Are there any courses I should take first as a Freshman to get started in this major and/or are there any lower division GE course requirements that I can take that will also count toward this major?

Please consider enrolling in COMM 150. This course fulfills your GE Oral Communication requirement and is a great introduction for Freshman to get started in this major. After that, we encourage you to enroll in any of our other lower division courses.

Are there entry or prerequisite requirements for these Freshmen courses?


Can any of my AP or IB tests count toward requirements in this major? AP courses do not count toward Communication Studies. However, they may help toward your work in other University Requirements.

College of Liberal & Creative Arts Advising Resource Center (ARC)

Services provided for: Undergraduate students pursuing a major, minor or certificate in the College of Liberal and Creative Arts.

Services offered: Academic planning, general education advising, academic probation advising, petition consultation, career prep and planning, major career exploration, graduation check (GE and graduation requirements), study abroad, connecting with communities and discovering campus resources.

Phone: (415) 338-1486
Location: HUM 112