Recreation, Parks, and Tourism Administration

Major Requirements (SF State Bulletin: Degree Requirements)

Roadmap (SF State Bulletin: Roadmap)

Your major advisor answered a few questions to assist you with your first semester courses — see below.

General Information

What are some of the highlights and features to know about this major?
  1. RPT requires a 15-unit (RPT 680/690) culminating experience (internship). Minimum requirements: 400 hours, 10 weeks, 32 hours/week, approved RPT organization during last semester.
  2. No courses can be taken during internship semester
  3. 500 hours of experience working/volunteering in recreation, parks, and/or tourism is required before eligible for final internship.
When should I first meet with my major department? Anytime before the next semester registration period.
How will I be assigned to a major advisor and how do I contact them? All RPT majors are required to see Erik Rosegard and advising appointments are made using:
Where can I find information about major advising?

All initial advising is completed by Erik Rosegard and scheduled through:

Does this major require any pre-work from me before I attend orientation or register for classes? None, but contacting RPT Department for advising is strongly recommended.
What should I do if my major core and/or prequisite courses are full? Schedule appointment with RPT Department (Erik Rosegard) using:
Is there anything else I need to know about starting in this major? [Flyer will be posted soon.]

Transfer Student Info

What upper division courses should I take in my first semester as a transfer student for this major?

Transfer students (1st semester)

  • Required to enroll in RPT 200 their first semester
  • Most students enroll in RPT 200, 300, 325, 350 and UD-B/UD-C
  • Other options include RPT 390, 410, 440 and 520
Are there any prerequisites to these upper division courses for the major? ENG 214 or equivalent is helpful.
Are there any registration blocks or holds in the system for this major, and if so, what do I do/who do I contact to clear them? None.
Does this major have an approved Associate Degree for Transfer (ADT) roadmap? Not applicable.

Freshmen Student Info

Are there any courses I should take first as a Freshman to get started in this major and/or are there any lower division GE course requirements that I can take that will also count toward this major?

1st year students

Focus on GE and consider RPT 110 for GE A3 (critical thinking)

Other GE courses –RPT 210 (C1); RPT 230 (C3)

Are there entry or prerequisite requirements for these Freshmen courses?


Can any of my AP or IB tests count toward requirements in this major? No AP/IB tests will satisfy RPT major courses.

College of Health & Social Sciences Student Resource Center (SRC)

Services provided for: undergraduate students with College of Health and Social Sciences majors, pre-majors and minors.

Services offered: Academic planning (GE, DARs, DPR and major), freshman transitioning support, impacted major consultation, academic probation advising, general life/support counseling, petition consultation, career prep and planning, major career exploration, graduation check (GE and graduation requirements), resume and cover letter help

Phone: (415) 405-3740
Location: HSS 254