Kinesiology: Concentration in Physical Education

Major Requirements(SF State Bulletin: Degree Requirements)

Roadmap (SF State Bulletin: Roadmap)

GE Requirements (SF State Bulletin: General Education)

KIN Handout (SRC pdf)

Major Department Website

Your major advisor answered a few questions to assist you with your first semester courses — see below.

General Information

What are some of the highlights and features to know about this major? Kinesiology is an impacted major and students must follow the admission guidelines on our website to apply into our major. Freshmen are admitted as Pre-Kinesiology; therefore they must apply directly to our major, this typically occurs during their sophomore year.
When should I first meet with my major department? We highly encourage students to visit an advisor at the beginning of the semester. 
How will I be assigned to a major advisor and how do I contact them?

Our Undergraduate Advisor will assign you to a Faculty Advisor.

Contact the main office (415-338-2244 or visit GYM 101) to schedule an appointment with our Undergraduate Advisor.

Once you’ve been assigned a Faculty Advisor, contact your Faculty Advisor directly to schedule an appointment or visit them during their walk-in hours. 

Where can I find information about major advising?

Advising information can be found on our website under the "Advising" tab.

Students may also visit the Kinesiology main office in GYM 101 for all updated office hours. 

Does this major require any pre-work from me before I attend orientation or register for classes? None.
What should I do if my major core and/or prerequisite courses are full?

Freshmen can complete lower-division general education courses. 

Transfer students can complete upper-division general education courses, major emphasis courses or electives (if applicable).

Is there anything else I need to know about starting in this major?

Students should attend one of our monthly Pre-Kinesiology advising workshops (opened to all students, but Freshmen with an interest in Kinesiology and/or declared Pre-Kinesiology students are highly encouraged). Students can contact the main office (415-338-2244 or GYM 101) for workshop times and dates.

For any quick questions, students can also meet with a Kinesiology Peer Advisor via office hours in GYM 133 or email

Transfer Student Info

What upper division courses should I take in my first semester as a transfer student for this major?

(1) KIN 251; 

(2) KIN 355 (meets GE Area UD-B); and

(3) KIN 384GW; and

(4) Upper division GE Area C/UD-C; and 

(Note: IF student has not completed US History (USH) and/or US/CA Government (USG) (CSLG), HIST 470 or HIST 471 are ideal options to meet UD-C+USH+USG+CSLG+SF State Studies American Ethnic & Racial Minorities/AERM+Social Justice/SJ).

(5) Upper division GE Area D/UD-D or Elective or Minor

Are there any prerequisites to these upper division courses for the major?

KIN 251 Prerequisites: Restricted to Kinesiology majors; concurrent enrollment in KIN 384GW.

KIN 355 Prerequisities: GE Areas A1, A2, A3, and B4 or consent of the instructor.

KIN 384GW Prerequisites: Restricted to upper-division Kinesiology majors; completion of GE Area A2, KIN 240 or KIN 250 (may be taken concurrently) and MATH 124 or equivalent with grades of C or better.

Upper division GE courses (UD-B UD-C or UD-D) Prerequisites: Upper division standing; and/or successful completion of GE Areas A1, A2, A3, and B4.

Are there any registration blocks or holds in the system for this major, and if so, what do I do/who do I contact to clear them? Students must be upper division standing and declared Kinesiology major to take core classes.
Does this major have an approved Associate Degree for Transfer (ADT) roadmap?


Freshmen Student Info

Are there any courses I should take first as a Freshman to get started in this major and/or are there any lower division GE course requirements that I can take that will also count toward this major?

(1) COMM 150 (meets GE Area A1)

OR Critical Thinking (meets GE Area A3); and 

(2) ENG 114/104 (meets GE Area A2); and

(3) MATH 124 (meets GE Area B4); and

(4) HED 290 (meets GE Area C1+SF State Studies Global Perspectives/GP); and 

(5) BIOL 100 + 101 (meets Area B1+B3+SF State Studies Social Justice/SJ) or BIO 230

OR GE Area D2 or GE Area D3. 

Are there entry or prerequisite requirements for these Freshmen courses?

BIOL 230 Prerequisites: Restricted to Biology and Biochemistry majors and minors, Kinesiology majors, and Environmental Studies: Natural Resources Management and Conservation majors.

MATH 124 Prerequisites: Category I or II placement for QR/Math, or if Category III/IV placement for QR/Math students must also concurrently enroll into Math 123.

Can any of my AP or IB tests count toward requirements in this major?

AP Biology with a score of 4 or better will satsify BIOL 230. 

AP Statistics (only if took exam in 2018-2019) with a passing score of 4 or better will satisfy MATH 124. 

IB Biology HL with a score of 5 or better will satsify BIO 230.

College of Health & Social Sciences Student Resource Center (SRC)

Services provided for: Undergraduate students with College of Health and Social Sciences majors, pre-majors and minors.

Services offered: Academic planning (GE, DARs, DPR and major), freshman transitioning support, impacted major consultation, academic probation advising, general life/support counseling, petition consultation, career prep and planning, major career exploration, graduation check (GE and graduation requirements), resume and cover letter help

Phone: (415) 405-3740
Location: HSS 254