Interior Design

Major Requirements (SF State Bulletin: Degree Requirements)

Roadmap (SF State Bulletin: Roadmap)

Interior Design Program Sheet (pdf)

Your major advisor answered a few questions to assist you with your first semester courses — see below.

General Information

When should I first meet with my major department? Would suggest for freshman to meet with our College Resource Center [CHSS SRC — Student Resource Center in HSS 254] and for transfer students as soon as possible at the beginning of the semester.
How will I be assigned to a major advisor and how do I contact them? Students [declared in ID] are assigned alphabetically to an advisor in their area. Best method of contact is email, contact to request and appointment or sign up for an appointment outside of the faculty office.
Where can I find information about major advising?
Does this major require any pre-work from me before I attend orientation or register for classes?

Students may register for courses without meeting with an advisor. But, we do have an advising process and ask that all upper-division/transfer students meet with an academic advisor to develop an advising folder that includes a semester by semester course plan. Freshman we ask to meet with our College Resource center [CHSS SRC — Student Resource Center in HSS 254] as they are quite knowledgeable regarding program requirements.

What should I do if my major core and/or prequisite courses are full? If a course is full, suggest the student attend first several days of the semester as drops and adds will occur.

Transfer Student Info

What upper division courses should I take in my first semester as a transfer student for this major?

Please see attached program sheet, back side [see above].

[ADM 260, ID 244, ID 343 and ID 345]

[CFS 543 is an elective for ID majors and GE UD-D/ES]

Are there any prerequisites to these upper division courses for the major?

Please see attached program sheet, all prerequisites of courses are listed.


Are there any registration blocks or holds in the system for this major, and if so, what do I do/who do I contact to clear them? Yes, prerequisites are enforced in the enrollment system. If course was taken at a school not listed on, student should meet with major advisor to clear.
Does this major have an approved Associate Degree for Transfer (ADT) roadmap? No.

Freshmen Student Info

Are there any courses I should take first as a Freshman to get started in this major and/or are there any lower division GE course requirements that I can take that will also count toward this major?

Please see attached program sheet, students should enroll in prerequisite courses.

[ID 240 and ID 242]

Are there entry or prerequisite requirements for these Freshmen courses?


Can any of my AP or IB tests count toward requirements in this major? Yes, these can count for the 200-level courses.

College of Health & Social Sciences Student Resource Center (SRC)

Services provided for: undergraduate students with College of Health and Social Sciences majors, pre-majors and minors.

Services offered: Academic planning (GE, DARs, DPR and major), freshman transitioning support, impacted major consultation, academic probation advising, general life/support counseling, petition consultation, career prep and planning, major career exploration, graduation check (GE and graduation requirements), resume and cover letter help

Phone: (415) 405-3740
Location: HSS 254