Environmental Studies B.A.

Major Requirements (SF State Bulletin: Degree Requirements)

Roadmap (SF State Bulletin: Roadmap)

Your major advisor answered a few questions to assist you with your first semester courses — see below.

General Information

What are some of the highlights and features to know about this major? For the ENVS B.A., Complementary Studies units are additional to the units required for the major.  B.A. students can satisfy Complementary Studies by taking 12-units of non-ENVS courses in consultation with an advisor or by completing any minor.
When should I first meet with my major department? ENVS requires students to meet with an advisor their first or second semester; we place a registration hold on second-semester students for that purpose.  But in general, as soon as possible.
How will I be assigned to a major advisor and how do I contact them? This varies by semester.  Students should check the ENVS website. 
Where can I find information about major advising? https://envs.sfsu.edu/advising
Does this major require any pre-work from me before I attend orientation or register for classes?

No, however in the first semester that you declare as an Environmental Studies major, the department will place an advising hold on your record.  This means that you will not be able to register for the next semester until you receive mandatory advising.  

Does this major have GE courses that are met in major?

[These courses are deemed “met in the major” upon completion of the courses listed (even though the courses are not approved for GE). This is true whether or not the student completes the major.]


B1 (Physical Science): CHEM 115 AND CHEM 380

B2 (Life Science): BIOL 240 OR BIOL 313

B3 (Laboratory Science): BIOL 240 OR BIOL 313

What should I do if my major core and/or prequisite courses are full? Incoming students have enough courses to choose from that this should not be aproblem.  If a student can’t get into, for example, ENVS 224, it’s all right to register for ENVS 300. 

Transfer Student Info

What upper division courses should I take in my first semester as a transfer student for this major?

If ENVS transfer students have not taken GEOG 101 or GEOL 270 (or an equivalent at a community college) and CHEM 115 (equivalent offered at CCs) OR CHEM 180 (not available at CCs) they should take those courses first semester, along with ENVS 300 (Intro) and ENVS 224 (Research Methods).

They can also take BIO 313, Ecology, and/or satisfy their Social Justice and Sustainability and/or Global International [elective] requirement in the ENVS core.

Are there any prerequisites to these upper division courses for the major?

BIOL 313 Prerequisite: One course in college biology or an environmentally-oriented subject. Intended for non-majors.

CHEM 115 Prerequisites: CHEM 100 with a grade of C or better (letter grade only).

CHEM 180 is a lower-division Core course.


Are there any registration blocks or holds in the system for this major, and if so, what do I do/who do I contact to clear them?

Yes, when you first arrive on campus, a registration hold will be put on your record for the following semester until you obtain mandatory advising.  

Does this major have an approved Associate Degree for Transfer (ADT) roadmap?

Yes, the AD-T in Environmental Science.

Freshmen Student Info

Are there any courses I should take first as a Freshman to get started in this major and/or are there any lower division GE course requirements that I can take that will also count toward this major? For all freshman ENVS  students (any degree or emphasis), GEOG 101 or ERTH 230/GEOL 270 could be taken in the first semester, as could either CHEM 115 or CHEM 180 to satisfy the lower-division chemistry requirement.
Are there entry or prerequisite requirements for these Freshmen courses?

CHEM 115 Prerequisites: CHEM 100 with a grade of C or better (letter grade only) or satisfactory score on chemistry placement exam. ELM with a score of 50 or better or approved exemption, or MATH 70 with a grade of C or better or ESM 70 with a grade of CR.

CHEM 180 Prerequisites: MATH 70 with a grade of C or better, or ELM with a score of 50 or better or an exemption, high school chemistry.

Can any of my AP or IB tests count toward requirements in this major? AP Chemistry with scores of 4 or 5 will give you credit for CHEM 115 (5-units), satisfy GE Areas B1 and GE B3 and 6 units total earned.

College of Health & Social Sciences Student Resource Center (SRC)

Services provided for: undergraduate students with College of Health and Social Sciences majors, pre-majors and minors.

Services offered: Academic planning (GE, DARs, DPR and major), freshman transitioning support, impacted major consultation, academic probation advising, general life/support counseling, petition consultation, career prep and planning, major career exploration, graduation check (GE and graduation requirements), resume and cover letter help

Phone: (415) 405-3740
Website: chss.sfsu.edu/src
Email: srcenter@sfsu.edu
Location: HSS 254