Nutrition and Dietetics

Major Requirements (SF State Bulletin: Degree Requirements)

Roadmap (SF State Bulletin: Roadmap)

Dietetics Program Sheet (PDF)

Your major advisor answered a few questions to assist you with your first semester courses — see below.

General Information

When should I first meet with my major department? We suggest for freshman to meet with our College Resource Center [CHSS SRC — Student Resource Center in HSS 254] and for transfer students as soon as possible at the beginning of the semester.
How will I be assigned to a major advisor and how do I contact them? Students [declared in DFM] are assigned alphabetically to an advisor in their area. Best method of contact is email, contact to request and appointment or sign up for an appointment outside of the faculty office.
Where can I find information about major advising?
Does this major require any pre-work from me before I attend orientation or register for classes?

Students may register for courses without meeting with an advisor. FINA has an advising process and ask that all upper-division/transfer students meet with an academic advisor to develop an advising folder that includes a semester by semester course plan.

For Freshman we ask to meet with our College Advising center [CHSS SRC — Student Resource Center in HSS 254] as they are quite knowledgeable regarding program requirements.

Does this major have GE courses that are met in major?

[These courses are deemed “met in the major” upon completion of the courses listed (even though the courses are not approved for GE). This is true whether or not the student completes the major.]


B1 (Physical Science): CHEM 130

B2 (Life Science): BIOL 210 AND BIOL 220

B3 (Laboratory Science): CHEM 115 AND BIOL 211

What should I do if my major core and/or prequisite courses are full? If a course is full, we suggest the student attend first several days of the semester as drops and adds will occur.
Is there anything else I need to know about starting in this major?

As of Fall 2018, the former Bachelor of Science Dietetics program is now the Bachelor of Science in Nutrition and Dietetics .  The Bachelor of Science in Nutrition and Dietetics will have 2 concentrations:

1) Concentration in Dietetics and Nutrition Science (formerly titled Dietetics & Food Management) and will come off of impaction in Fall 2019;

2) Concentration in Foods and Community Nutrition (formerly the Nutrition/Foodservice Systems Management (NFSM) Emphasis from Family and Consumer Science major).

Transfer Student Info

What upper division courses should I take in my first semester as a transfer student for this major?

Please see attached program sheet, back side.

[From program sheet — “Third Year Course Sequence — Fall Only”
BIOL 220: Principles of Human Anatomy (Fall/Sp)
CFS 352: Principles of Food Preparation (Fall/Sp) GE: UD-B
CHEM 349 General Biochemistry (Fall/Sp)
DFM 353GW Food Service Systems Mgmt (Fall/Sp) (GWAR)]

Are there any prerequisites to these upper division courses for the major?

Please see attached program sheet, all pre requisites of courses are listed.

[From program sheet — “Third Year Course Sequence-Fall Only”
[BIOL 220: Principles of Human Anatomy (prereq: BIOL 210/211)
CFS 352: Principles of Food Preparation (GE: UD-B, prereq: ENG 214 or equivalent, C or better)
CHEM 349 General Biochemistry (prereq: C or better in CHEM 115 and CHEM 130)
DFM 353GW Food Service Systems Mgmt (GWAR) (prereq: C or better in DFM 253 and ENG 214)]

Are there any registration blocks or holds in the system for this major, and if so, what do I do/who do I contact to clear them? Yes, prerequisites are enforced in the enrollment system. If course was taken at a school not listed on, student should meet with major advisor to clear.
Does this major have an approved Associate Degree for Transfer (ADT) roadmap? No.

Freshmen Student Info

Are there any courses I should take first as a Freshman to get started in this major and/or are there any lower division GE course requirements that I can take that will also count toward this major?

As this is currently an impacted program, there will be not Freshman in the courses, they will be Pre-Dietetics. Please see attached program sheet for what they could enroll in to prepare.

[Courses on program sheet:

BIOL 210/211 General Microbiology and Public Health and Laboratory
CHEM 115 General Chemistry I (Fall/Sp) (prereq: 550+on ELM test or C in MATH 70; and CHEM placement exam)
DFM 253 Nutrition in Health and Disease (at least a B- required) (Fall/Sp) (prereq: 1 semester chemistry or physiology)
MATH 124 Elementary Statistics (GE: B4 pre-req: satisfactory completion of ELM requirement)
PSY 200 General Psychology (GE: D1/E)]

Are there entry or prerequisite requirements for these Freshmen courses?

[CHEM 115: 550+ on ELM test or C in MATH 70; and CHEM placement exam.
DFM 253: 1 semester chemistry or physiology
MATH 124: Satisfactory completion of ELM requirement]

Can any of my AP or IB tests count toward requirements in this major?

Yes, for lower division BIOL or CHEM courses.

[AP Chemistry with scores of 4 or 5 will give you credit for CHEM 115 (5-units), satisfy GE Areas B1 and GE B3 and 6 units total earned.
AP Psychology with scores of 3, 4 or 5 will give you credit for PSY 200/GE D (Total 3 units)]

College of Health & Social Sciences Student Resource Center (SRC)

Services provided for: undergraduate students with College of Health and Social Sciences majors, pre-majors and minors.

Services offered: Academic planning (GE, DARs, DPR and major), freshman transitioning support, impacted major consultation, academic probation advising, general life/support counseling, petition consultation, career prep and planning, major career exploration, graduation check (GE and graduation requirements), resume and cover letter help

Phone: (415) 405-3740
Location: HSS 254