Child and Adolescent Development: Concentration in Youth Work and Out of School Time

Major Requirements (SF State Bulletin: Degree Requirements)

Roadmap (SF State Bulletin: Roadmap)

Your major advisor answered a few questions to assist you with your first semester courses — see below.

General Information

What are some of the highlights and features to know about this major? Must be upper-division with 60-units completed by start of semester admitted; should take CAD 210, 260, and ENG 214 since they are prerequisites to all the upper division core courses; select one of three concentrations; meet complementary studies requirement by virtue of being in the major.
When should I first meet with my major department? We encourage all new majors to come to advising as soon as your first semester begins.
How will I be assigned to a major advisor and how do I contact them? We do not assign students to a major advisor.  Students can see whomever they want of the Tenured and/or Tenure-Track faculty.  Students can come to the dept office (SCI 394) to set up an appointment or can call (405-3564) or email the office at
Where can I find information about major advising?

The advising link is in the left column.  We list faculty advisors’ schedules each semester and also have advising worksheets available for students to download.

Does this major require any pre-work from me before I attend orientation or register for classes? None.
What should I do if my major core and/or prequisite courses are full? You can begin to take classes in your concentration.
Is there anything else I need to know about starting in this major? Review the CAD website which can answer many of your questions.

Transfer Student Info

What upper division courses should I take in my first semester as a transfer student for this major? CAD 300 Professional Roles and Careers in Child and Adolescent Development and CAD 410 Applied Child and Youth Development are the first courses students should take.
Are there any prerequisites to these upper division courses for the major? There are prerequisites for CAD 410:
CAD 210 with grade of C or better
CAD 260 with grade of C or better
ENG 214 with grade of C- or better
Are there any registration blocks or holds in the system for this major, and if so, what do I do/who do I contact to clear them? None.
Does this major have an approved Associate Degree for Transfer (ADT) roadmap?


Child and Adolescent Development (AA-T) [Click here for Roadmap]

Early Childhood Education (ECE) (AS-T) [Click here for Roadmap]

Freshmen Student Info

Are there any courses I should take first as a Freshman to get started in this major and/or are there any lower division GE course requirements that I can take that will also count toward this major? If in CAD Metro-CAD 120 (E1, C2; AERM, GP, SJ)
CAD 210 (D1)
CAD 260 (E1, D1; AERM, GP, SJ)
Are there entry or prerequisite requirements for these Freshmen courses? ENG 114 or equivalent
Can any of my AP or IB tests count toward requirements in this major? None.

College of Health & Social Sciences Student Resource Center (SRC)

Services provided for: undergraduate students with College of Health and Social Sciences majors, pre-majors and minors.

Services offered: Academic planning (GE, DARs, DPR and major), freshman transitioning support, impacted major consultation, academic probation advising, general life/support counseling, petition consultation, career prep and planning, major career exploration, graduation check (GE and graduation requirements), resume and cover letter help

Phone: (415) 405-3740
Location: HSS 254